My 2 cents

It's not what you don't know that kills you. It's what you don't know that you don't know that does you in!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Margaritaville, Canada

Man Law - Thoughts from the grill

Thursday, September 12, 2019

Wanderlust

I was caught by the wanderlust bug ever since I was a kid. I would frequent the Ontario Lake Shore as often as I could just to get my fill. Being away from your mundane routine is very liberating. It often breeds creativity and allows you to be more yourself than whatever society tries to pigeonhole you into.

As the old adage goes, one of the best ways to learn about someone is to either lend them money or travel with them. Travel brings out many of our wonderful qualities, and some not so good ones, believe you me.

I can recall taking a friend on a road trip down to Miami. Things seemed great until the sandy shorelines were not enough to take my mind away from how annoying some habits can really get. One of my major pet peeves is bad eating habits. Imagine being stuck with someone, who smacks their lips with every bite, for a full weekend. Needless to say, that was the last time I was on a long trip away with that friend. I do hang out with him otherwise; I just pretend I’m not hungry or watching my weight.

I have been around some great travel companions as well. One of my best traveling partners is my youngest sibling. We are always in sync on many things. Interested in the same activities; matching my energy step for step. And it doesn’t hurt to have the same taste in food or know how to carry a boujee lifestyle. Those trips couldn’t have been shorter.

Each trip has given me a new perspective on life. Despite the anxiety that comes with airports, and the cramped spaces on trains/cars, I have always returned home a more well-rounded person. From Dune bashing in Dubai, to the great outback, to somber evenings in England, to the cobblestone streets of Roma, I have learned to appreciate culture and people.

Travel is great for the mind and soul. It installs you in a different place, outside of your comfort zone. To make you adapt, learn new ways of life, peer into the lives of complete strangers, or even find a new comfort zone.

A few days away is sometimes all we need to get a B-12 shot in our tired lives. So go ahead and plan that weekend. You can thank me later.

I’ll be back when the mood strikes, but until then, Happy Travels!

Welcome to my blog. "Wawaveewa!! I hope you laaike .. it's nice .. i laaaike" (Borat)